Cars & Trucks | Other Wheels | The Sporting World | Household & Electronics | Small Animals

Farm & Ranch | Real Estate | Everything Else | Horse & Rider | Wanted to Buy

Recipes | Gardening | Events | Tech Room | Employment | Business Services

Rules | Terms of Use

This site sponsored by Midwest Tel Net
Printer-friendly copy
Top Discussion Conference Recipes topic #9293
View in linear mode

Subject: "dumplings" First topic | Last topic
ratraceWed Mar-30-16 09:06 AM
Member since May 31st 2007
472 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
"dumplings"

anyone have a good recipe for dumplings? the recipe I have ain't to good. thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

MDDJ4Fri Apr-01-16 01:09 PM
241 posts
Click to add this author to your buddy list
#1. "RE: dumplings"
In response to Reply # 0

EGG DUMPLINGS (from old Betty Crocker cookbook -- I have used this successfully for over 55 years)

Sift together into bowl: 1 Cup sifted flour, 1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Stir in until thoroughly blended (don't beat):
2 Tablespoons oil, 1 egg, 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons milk, 2 Tablespoons minced parsley (optional but adds flavor)

Drop by spoonfuls onto chicken or meat in gravy.
Cook slowly UNCOVERED for 10 minutes
COVER tightly and cook another 10 minutes, remove to platter.

I always make this with chicken and the broth made into gravy with plenty in the pan as it reduces quite a bit and can end up with a scant amount of gravy left.

The recipe does show dropping the dumplings into boiling meat stock with the meat in. I have never tried it into unthickened stock but assume it will work. I'm having chicken in gravy with dumplings tonight.

+++++++++++++++++++
For dumplings in soup I use an old German recipe for "SPATZEN or GERMAN EGG DUMPLINGS." (from an old Joy of Cooking cookbook)
Beat : 2 eggs
Combine them well with: 1-1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Drop small bits of the batter from spoon into simmering salted water or stock. I have batter in one spoon and cut small bits off with another spoon (dipped in broth to prevent sticking). These are tiny, more like bits of noodle. Let cook until done. If you want to use as a side dish to meat just scoop them out of the broth and put into bowl for serving. I like them added to homemade chicken soup instead of noodles, they are thicker than noodles and a little more chewy, depending upon size you make them.

Hope this info is helpful. I love old recipes when everything was from scratch. Definitely better.

ratraceFri Apr-01-16 02:51 PM
472 posts
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to add this author to your buddy list
#2. "RE: dumplings"
In response to Reply # 1

thank you I will try it. jerry

alaskaTue Apr-25-17 02:49 PM
Member since May 20th 2015
34 posts
#3. "RE: dumplings"
In response to Reply # 0

grandmas (Hard Dumplings)

"slightly" beat 2 eggs so they are well broken up
Add 2 Tablespoons oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Gradually add flour starting with 1/2 cup; stir with a fork "lightly" so all
flour is mixed in.  Add enough flour for soft dough (it can be almost runny)
Drop by small teasp into boiling broth.  Cover and simmer for 15 min.  Not
supposed to peak during the simmering process otherwise the dumplings will
fall.

If you want puffy ones, add a teaspoon baking powder with your flour.

Top Discussion Conference Recipes topic #9293First topic | Last topic